George Yury Matveev
Open Source Consultant, System Architect
contact: george at matveev dot se
About 15 years in IT industry including large scale distributed projects in multinational companies.
Hands on experience with all aspects of software development:
from capturing system requirements to OO design with patterns to project/team leading.
Extensive experience with RTOS and Embedded systems development in Telecom industry:
from boot loaders and device drivers to Base Stations.
- Unix, Linux, kernel/drivers, shell scripting, awk, sed, vi
- C, C++, make, STL, Boost libs
- Requirements analysis, Object Oriented system architecture design
- Assembler (MASM, NASM, GAS, ARM, PowerPC)
- TCP/IP networks/sockets programming (from Ethernet/ARP to SIP/RTP)
- Mobile Platforms (Moto/P2K, Qualcomm/BREW, LiMo, Nokia/Maemo, OpenMoko, Android)
- Embedded Systems (bootloaders, cross-compile/debug, Yocto/OpenEmbedded/BitBake, Buildroot)
- RTOS (VRTX, VxWorks, OSE/LINX, REX, FreeRTOS)
- Wireless drivers (GSM, WCDMA, LTE, WiMAX, WiFi, ZigBee)
- advanced debugging with scripts (gdb, Simics)
- Java Standard (Applet, AWT, Swing, JavaFX)
- Java Enterprise (Ant, Maven, EJB, Spring, Struts, Hibernate, Velocity, ActiveMQ)
- Java Application Servers (GlassFish, JBoss, WebLogic, Tomcat)
- Java Mobile (J2ME, CLDC/MIDP/DoJa, JavaCard/JSR177, Android)
- multi-tire systems design with UML and design patterns
- Open Source (Debian, Ubuntu, SuSe, RedHat, Git, Gerrit, SVN, etc)
- virtualization on Linux with KVM/libvirt, QEMU
- SQL, RDBMS, Documentum, PeopleSoft, COBOL
- Algorithms, TeX, PARI/GP, Maple, FORTRAN
- Technical Project Management (RUP, Agile, Scrum, TDD, CMMI, etc)
Open Source Consultant, System Developer, Stockholm:
2014, November - present:
System Developer, Stockholm University, IT department (provanställning):
2014, May - 2014, October:
Business logic, bug fixing and enhancements of Mondo (based on OpenSource Sakai CLE project) and VFU systems.
Utilized Java 1.5/8, Maven, Spring, Tomcat, JBoss, Velocity, Groovy 2.3,
JDBC, MySQL5, GGTS (Groovy/Grails Tool Suite), IDEA 13.1, HTML5, CSS,
git, GitHub, Scrum, JIRA (bugs/requirements) on Ubuntu.
Senior Software Engineer, Rogue Wave Software AB, Stockholm:
2012, June - 2013, September:
- Designed and developed ThreadSpotter MPI extensions: Front End (runs on master node) and Back End (runs on compute nodes) applications, allowing for ThreadSpotter to launch/attach/profile/sample target applications (via ptrace () system call) running on many compute nodes of MPI cluster based on partition and rank.
- Redesigned core components of ThreadSpotter (Sample/Acumon/License/etc) for MPI environment, integrated system with LaunchMon MPI middleware.
Project environment: Debian 7, RedHat Enterprise Linux x86_64, C/C++, Boost libraries,
OpenMPI 1.4.5, Slurm-LLNL 2.3.4, LaunchMon 1.x, MRNet 3.x/4.x, svn, git, Eclipse,
FlexNet Publisher Licensing Toolkit 11.10, JIRA(bugs/requirements tracking).
TCP/IP sockets programming (BE master - BE compute nodes).
RW closed its Swedish office in October 2013.
Open Source Consultant, System Architect
2008, March - 2011, December:
- Ericsson AB, Kista, Stockholm: Radio Software.
Design, development, bugfixing of RBS 6k base stations GSM/LTE, WCDMA, Multistandard.
Focusing on Tx, Carrier Control (setup, activate, modify, clipping, etc), HALI Capabilities.
Utilized Green Hills Multi/Probe for PowerPC, OSE 5.3, Sun Solaris 5.9, SuSe Linux Enterprise 10, ClearCase, Mantis, Eclipse, Simics, git, C/C++, JSON, Python.
- ST-Ericsson, Grimstad, Norway: Integration of STE modem Bridge platform with Android/Linux mobile
stack. Debugging and patching of kernel (CAIF/HSI/SPI) and user (RIL, MID, RFM, MLD) space components of Bridge. Contributed patches to Open Source U300-RIL STE branch of RIL.
Utilized STE M343/57x/7xx modems, AT commands, AT Relay, DebugMux, LiNS, Platform
Assistant, ClearCase SDK, TI Zoom/Blaze, Android SDK/NDK, Linux kernel 2.6.35, (k)gdb, strace, git/repo/gerrit, Ubuntu 10.x, Eclipse.
Stockholm: ZigBee (802.15.4) WPAN driver and frame analyzer for Linux. Utilized Atmel RZRaven AVR
Wireless Suite (AT86RF230 transceiver, AT90USB1287, ATmega 3290/1284), AVR32 Studio for Linux,
LUFA, Debian 5.
Nokia Devices, Tampere: Connectivity, WLAN components (wlan connection daemon, mac80211 stack, TI
wl12xx driver, firmware) debugging and enhancements for Maemo Fremantle/N900. Improved association
algorithm in wcond, developed sysfs interface for real-time tuning of key driver parameters.
Utilized Maemo Fremantle SDK, Nokia N900, Scratchbox, TI OMAP3430/WiLink, Linux kernel 2.6.28, (k)gdb, strace, powertop, git on Debian "Lenny".
Teleca Sweden AB, Göteborg: WiFi driver (Atheros AR6k) enhancements on OpenMoko FreeRunner GTA02.
Utilized Qt Extended (Qtopia), Android, Gtk+, QEMU, ARM RVCT, (k)gdb, strace, svn, git, OpenEmbedded/BitBake,
Linux kernel 2.6.24, Ubuntu.
Nokia NRC, Ruoholahti: Skype VoIP client integration with RTComm Telepathy/Farsight 2.0 framework
for Maemo Fremantle/N900. Utilized Skype Voice/Power API, VDE, SkyHost, D-Bus, GStreamer, Scratchbox,
SIP/RTP/XMPP protocols, svn/git, CaliberRM, ScrumWorks, Debian Etch/Lenny.
Open Source Consultant at LG Electronics Russia R&D Lab
2007, May - 2008, February:
- Took part in development of first version of LGE LiMo R1 platform based on Linux kernel and different Open Source components. Debugged and developed Telephony (TAPI, Server, OEM adaptation layer), Event Delivery, Messaging components.
- As Open Source Software consultant provided expertise and support to LGERP R&D Mobile Full Browser based on WebKit project for WISE/BREW/REX platform. Utilized ARM ADS/RealView 2.2, WISE simulator, MS VS, Qualcomm BREW SDK/REX.
2005, April - 2006, August:
- Networks, WiMAX 2.0 (802.16e) MAC and Scheduler Test Environment, Project Lead.
Utilized VxWorks Workbench (VxSim-Solaris), Freescale PowerQUICC/e500 boards, MS Visual Studio,
Telelogic TAU G2/Tester, Rational Clear Case/Quest.
- MAC and Scheduler tasks porting to VxWorks/target
- TTCN-2/3 test scripts development
- Mobile Devices, Senior Software Engineer
Design and development of new features (JSRs/APIs) for Motorola P2K/VRTX platform (both native and
SynerJ) and Aplix JBlend. Porting of Sun CLDC HI 1.1.3 (MVM) to P2K. JavaOne 2005 demo with
Utilized Rational Clear Case/Quest, DDTS/DOORS, Linux RedHat Enterprise, RSDLite, RadioComm, in-circuit debuggers, Java
Card/WTK 2.x, Gemplus smart card simulator, NetBeans, Klocwork, Solaris.
Sr Software Engineer/Tech PM at Off-shore development for US
2002, April - 2005, March:
Systems design and implementation for small/medium size US companies.
Utilized C/C++, J2EE (1.3/1.4), application frameworks (Hibernate, Struts, Spring),
Web Services (JAX-RPC), major Java application servers (BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, Sun, JBoss)
and RDBMS (Oracle 8/9, MS SQL, MySQL), UML modeling tools, Eclipse, NetBeans on Solaris, Linux,
Requirements/risks management, estimations, projects tracking.
Systems Development Analyst at Philip Morris International
2000, March - 2002, March:
Designed and implemented factory's key business applications:
Call Accounting Billing System (Java/MS SQL with AT&T 'Definity' PBX). Internal billing system
provides real-time monitoring/reporting functionality for all internal extensions and external Service Providers.
- Document Management System in 5 departments (Engineering, Primary, Secondary, QA, EHSS).
Documentum 4i Desktop Client/E-Content server system provides unified electronic content storage (TBs in size) in Oracle 7.3/8i RDBMS, implements key factory documentation lifecycles and workflow templates as well as integration with AutoCAD via CADLink Plus for Engineering.
- DMS based on Documentum's WDK 4.2 provides web based interface (J2EE JSP/Servlets), lifecycles and workflows for Finance (Purchase Orders etc) and Legal (Contracts) departments (pilot project).
PeopleSoft consultant at Fairchild Semiconductor
1998, May - 1999, January:
As an external H1B consultant provided on-going support for Accounts Payable/Receivable, Billing and Oder
Management modules of PeopleSoft 7.x Financials. Responsibilities included maintenance and generation of
new SQR and Crystal reports, design and modification of on-line applications.
Utilized Application Designer, PeopleCode, COBOL, SQL, SQR, Crystal Reports on Windows NT.
Junior Research Scientist at Physico-Technical A.F. Ioffe Institute of Academy of Sciences of USSR, Leningrad
1990, April - 1991, February:
Laboratory of Plasmo-Gaso Dynamics, Department of Plasma Physics and Astrophysics.
Theoretical research and computer simulations of ion-acoustic waves in plasma.
Utilized FORTRAN, C, COBOL, SQL in VAX/VMS and x86 environments.
"Anders Lundbäck", Computer consultant at T2data AB,
worked directly with George at Ericsson Radio, Software, RBS 6k Downlink(Tx) Team, Stockholm, Kista:
"George har en bred bakgrund, är kompetent, lär sig snabbt och är duktig på att hantera problem/buggar i komplexa system.
Det som jag också tycker är viktigt som stämmer in på George är att han är trevlig och är lätt att samarbeta med."
Andrei Smirnov, Senior Software Engineer, Motorola,
worked directly with George at Motorola Mobile Devices:
"I had a pleasure to work with George in J2ME team of Motorola P2K platform. After his first project for
Motorola (JavaOne 2005 demo, joint with Gemplus) which was done under very tight schedule and high
pressure he and a colleague were mentioned in GSG Engineering Newsletter. He was truly passionate about
his job and Java technology and later on prepared P2K Architecture Overview presentation and JPDA (Java
Platform Debugging Architecture) training which were quite popular among his colleagues. He is
hardworking and very organized professional with excellent communication skills and would be an asset to
any IT company."
Kirill Ivanov, IS Technical Analyst, Philip Morris Izhora,
worked with George at Philip Morris International:
"Me and George were working together in ICS department of Philip Morris Izhora
where I was involved in
deployment phase and administration of systems George designed and implemented. Documentum was
deployed in 5 factory departments and given that shortly after "go-live" number of licenses doubled system
was quite successful and popular among factory's business users. And his "Sports Center" J2EE intranet
application was used by all factory employees - from blue collar workers to HR to top management. George
has strong technical skills and excellent communication/organizational skills.
Download resume in OpenOffice(.doc) format
St. Petersburg State University, Department of Physics, 1981-1990
Diploma Thesis (PhD level): String model and computer simulation of magnetic flux tubes in solar corona.
Engineering degree in radar systems (compulsory program at University).
McGill University, Montreal
Department of Mathematics & Statistics, 1994-1995
PhD student (number theory, elliptic curves and modular functions), not complete because clerk of Immigration du Quebec denied student visa
after tuition fee was paid by McGill University.